ATX Community

DEPRECIATION

TAXMAN

7 YEAR  placed in service in 2008 150 ADS as it was a piece of farm equipment. Current year gives whole year dep regardless of what date I use to sell it. This could be bad if we have to check it every time we sell something off the asset register. Anyone else seeing this happen?

I agree with you and jmdavis that it should be 1/2 year in the year of sale. I'm not using ATX, and I checked it in UltraTax's depreciation module that I use and it calc'd it at 1/2 year's expense.  However, what I saw when I displayed the calculation was that the program made an automatic switch to SL when that was advantageous and then limited that expense to the 1/2 year.  Is it possible that is what ATX is doing?

I also got a warning message that the 150% ADS method was not allowed under the TRA 1997 law change when I tried to enter 7 years as the ADS life, but it did allow me to select "MACRS 150% Farm" with a 7-year life.  Numbers didn't change, still gave me the message about switching to SL when it was better and limiting 2014 to 1/2 in the year of sale no matter what date I entered for the sale.

• Like 1