ATX Community

ATX Backup feature

jshtax

It only backs up the files that have changed. It automatically backs up each client as you close it, unless you've turned that off in preferences.

You can watch it happen at:

C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX 2014 ServerATX 2014 Backup

Warning: ProgramData is a hidden folder. You have to change view Folder Options to see show hidden folders.

• Like 1

It backs up Companies, Payers and Preparers automatically, but you have to do a manual backup to backup Setup Data.

From ATX:

"Setup Data" is a consolidated group of data that includes the following types of information that you use regularly in ATX:

• Preferences - all the preferences you've selected for your system
  • Security Manager information that you've set up
  • Print Packet settings
  • Custom Client Letters
  • Customized Master Forms
  • EFIN Enrollment Data
  • Unpostable Funds records
  • FAM settings
  • PRS purchases
  • Like 1

For example we have 500 files and when I go to restore it says 490. Does that mean the other 10 havent been opened/saved yet? So obviously export is better function if comp is on fritz and need to transport files.

I have yet to restore any return for any reason.  I don't understand all the posts about dealing with backup and restore.  The backup function works just fine at the firm and in my office as well.  200+ client files at my private practice and 1,400+ client files at the firm so far.

if you have made any changes to the installation such as location of files, or changed the backup files to a different locations, THIS could be an issue.  Again, I do not understand the need to mess with the default installation locations of critical operating files for the program.

Edited by Jack from Ohio

I have yet to restore any return for any reason.  I don't understand all the posts about dealing with backup and restore.  The backup function works just fine at the firm and in my office as well.  200+ client files at my private practice and 1,400+ client files at the firm so far.

if you have made any changes to the installation such as location of files, or changed the backup files to a different locations, THIS could be an issue.  Again, I do not understand the need to mess with the default installation locations of critical operating files for the program.

No Jack you know who I am as we have spoken before and you know I haven't or wouldn't change the file locations. I am asking the following questions....If I click on the Returns drop down menu under Return Manager and then Backup button in theory what returns should populate in that list? Same goes for the Restore button what returns should populate in that list? I get that they are on the server but lets say we lost all the files for whatever reason how can I be sure the restore will actually restore the most recent version if no one has ever used it. I will give a better and more likely example what if I open a return and assets are gone or not calculating properly or if someone accidentally changes a return after it had been saved/completed/or worst yet efiled(this one I can get back from ATX so not a show stopper)  Now lets say I want to transport the files to a laptop to work while out of the office or out of town or at a clients office then put back on server my understanding is that is what the export/import feature does. 

I used export and import just yesterday.  I worked on a return at another location; exported to jump drive; came home and imported into my main computer to finish, print and efile.  AND, this year you have the option of overriding the existing return when you import.  Before, it always imported it as a "copy of" which was terribly annoying. 

• Like 2

I used export and import just yesterday.  I worked on a return at another location; exported to jump drive; came home and imported into my main computer to finish, print and efile.  AND, this year you have the option of overriding the existing return when you import.  Before, it always imported it as a "copy of" which was terribly annoying. 

I like that ability. I have never had confidence in the backup/restore feature since 2012.

• Like 2