ATX Community

Heat Pump dep

TAXMAN

Can I use a 10 year life on a replaced heat pump(old one blew up in this cold weather) since warranty only covers 10 years used in a residential rental. I did find a class life of 10 years in an article that said in essence since it was included in the energy rules for credits it was possible to have a class life of 5 years. what is your take on this. bty old one was 8 years old.

The HVAC is a structural component of the building system. HVAC usually has  - 1. Heat Pump, 2. Indoor Air Handler Unit, 3. Duct Work. 4. T-stat

Heat Pump performs a critical function of HVAC system. It's a restoration to building system, so an Improvement to the Building. Structural components recovery period is 27.5 on residential rental property.

OP said "replaced" not repair. He replaced a major component.

IMO

• Like 1

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE SAFE HARBOR

KEY CHANGES

The routine maintenance safe harbor is expanded to include buildings.

Network assets are excluded from the safe harbor

The costs of performing certain routine maintenance activities on a unit of property, including a building structure or one of the enumerated building systems, are currently deductible under a routine maintenance safe harbor (Reg. §1.263(a)-3(i)).

This safe harbor is not elective.

Under the safe harbor, an amount paid is deductible if it is for ongoing activities that, as a result of the taxpayer’s use of the unit of property, the taxpayer expects to perform to keep the unit of property in its ordinarily efficient operating condition. In the case of a building, the building structure and each building system is treated as a separate unit of property (Reg. §1.263(a)-3(i)(1)(i) and (ii)).

The activities are routine only if, at the time the unit of property is placed in service by the taxpayer, the taxpayer reasonably expects to perform the activities more than once during the class life of the unit of property (that is, during the recovery period prescribed for the MACRS alternative depreciation system (ADS)). However, in the case of a building structure or building system, the taxpayer must expect to perform the activities more than once during the ten-year period beginning when the building structure or building system is placed in service by the taxpayer (Reg. §1.263(a)-3(i)(1)(i) and (ii)).

• Like 1

"However, in the case of a building structure or building system, the taxpayer must expect to perform the activities more than once during the ten-year period beginning when the building structure or building system is placed in service by the taxpayer (Reg. §1.263(a)-3(i)(1)(i) and (ii))."

You should not expect to replace a Heat Pump more than once in a 10 year period. The life expectancy is between 12 - 15 years with proper maintenance. 

• Like 3

well since the one being replace was only 8 years old you might be safe to assume the next one will last even less, especially since it most likely is coming from china.  I can only go by the original post, Guarantee is only for 10 years and the original is 8 years old.  Its a judgment call and can be argued many ways. But, in this case replacing one 8 years old gives me a good argument that this will occur again in less than 10 years.  The standard is Reasonably expect to replace within 10 years.

• Like 1

well since the one being replace was only 8 years old you might be safe to assume the next one will last even less, especially since it most likely is coming from china.  I can only go my the original post, Warrantee is only for 10 years and the original is 8 years old.  Its a judgment call and can be argued many ways. But, in this case replacing one 8 years old gives me a good argument that this will occur again in less than 10 years.  The standard is Reasonable expect to replace within 10 years.

What would be the purpose of the warranty for 10 years then?  Items are typically designed to last LONGER than the warranty period.  I am not seeing any logical reason to consider the replacement of the A/C unit as repair.  This is the same argument about roofs.  The IRS has made it abundantly clear that roofs, HVAC, Plumbing and several other things are components.

27.5 years and if it dies after 13, claim the unused portion of depreciation as expense.

The guy that put in the heating system for my office building that I built 13 years ago undersized the heat pump.  When that one went bad, he replaced it with the same size unit.  When that one went bad I called someone else.  The new guy, so he says, put the correct size in.  My point, we are on our third heat pump in 13 years.  I would have a pretty good argument regarding expensing the darn things.  Oh year, the ones that failed made it through the warranty period and failed shorty thereafter.  The current new one is bigger and stronger and has a better warranty.  I think I am good now for a couple of years.  Knowing what I know about heat pumps - I say expense it as a repair.  You can use my case for an argument but I will have to charge you.  I have to find some way to recoup the cost of three heat pumps in thirteen years. 

• Like 2