ATX Community

S corp distributions excess of basis

cpabsd

S corp distributions in excess of basis - I believe these are to be treated as LT capital gains but ATX is bringing them in as ST.  How do I override to treat as LT?  I cannot seem to locate within software.  Bunny hopping is not working on this one and it will not let me override the system.  

• A non-dividend distribution in excess of stock basis is taxed as a capital gain on the shareholder's personal return. It is a long-term capital gain (LTCG) if the S corporation stock has been held for longer than one year

This is straight out of the IRS Pub.  What am I missing?  Are they always LTCG?

I know they are long term...but software is defaulting to short term.  It will not allow me to override and I cannot locate the proper place to input that it is to be treated as long term.  i found a work around ....but i'd rather do it correctly.  

I'm not sure where you're inputting.  In ATX on Form 8949, input tab:  if you enter an acquisition date, the ST or LT will show up accordingly.  If you enter various, ST will show up.  You can then override ST with LT.  I usually enter 12/31 as disposition date.