ATX Community

KY Local income tax

HV Ken

Client moved from NY to KY.  KY W-2 has local income tax taken out for Scott County and Georgetown.  I have been searching to see if/where these get reported, but must not be entering the correct keywords.  Is there something that needs to be done with these two local taxes?

Are you using ATX? If so, enter the state id KY for the state wages and withholding. Then the W-2 should show local wages and related withholdings. It's likely neither of these exist in the drop down box and you may have to add an extra line for the second locality.

Ask the client if it's known whether a local return must be filed. County returns are not so common if at all. By entering at least client gets credit on Sch. A.

There are no dropdowns for any KY localities!  I am wondering if there is a separate form that needs to be filed for this withholding like there is in PA.  We took care of the schedule A - I am more concerned about KY since there was withholding for these localities.

Normally, there shouldn't be a local return to file unless self-employed as a business.  I'm not sure about each locality so you should check their website.  If he was working in that location, the tax is withheld.  If employer continued to withhold after he moved, he probably has to get reimbursed by the employer.  I know some cities (Cincinnati) have a return to file by residents who don't work in the city and don't have the city tax withheld.  From my list of Ky locals (a few years old), the Georgetown/Scott County Revenue Commission number is 502-863-9805 (email:  [email protected]).