ATX Community

1042-S data entry

Margaret CPA in OH

Client who now resides in Australia but still US citizen taught course in US last year. They paid $1250 and withheld $37.50. I asked about 1099 MISC as it's needed to claim the withholding.

They just sent a Form 1042-S instead with $125 gross proceeds (I've asked if the balance of the check was travel reimbursement) and 30% withholding of $37.50.

I can't find where to enter this data for his Schedule C. I also looked at line 21 but don't see it. I just want to be sure he gets credit for the withheld tax.

Thanks!

Margaret, I don't think that a 1042-S should have been issued for a US citizen.  This is not something I know much about (so of course I will try to answer the question :P .)  But I think that whoever issued the form thought that your client was a Non-Resident Alien and would be filing a 1040-NR.  Would they consider correcting to a 1099MISC?

Or have I just shown everyone that I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING?  And I should not be allowed to prepare tax returns and should go home now. 

Gail, that is EXACTLY what I emailed to the client. My guess is that whoever prepared the check just saw the AU address and 'assumed' a foreigner. And I have asked for them to do it properly but doubt that will happen timely.

Meanwhile I also encouraged the client to get an EIN (provided links, etc.) and have W-9's at the ready as he plans on doing more teaching/research this year. I hope he follows through.

I did click on Line 64, Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099, just in case...Sure enough there are those lovely blue fill in lines so that's what I did. I input From Form 1042-S, XXXX payor, EIN xxxxxxxxx. It flowed through to line 64 but I do get an error that withholdings must be reported on Form W-2, W-2G, K-1, 1099 or Form 8959 to efile as those lovely blue lines don't efile. They won't want to paper file from AU.

I will ask how important that $38 is. I'm well over that time to charge by now.

A very long time ago I had a client who just returned from overseas and received one of those for interest from his broker.  He got it straightened out for future years, but that year I just entered the info on Schedule B and had a place in my program where I could add to or over-ride withholding.  (Since the broker thought he was foreign and didn't realized he did have the SSN, the broker withheld.)