ATX Community

Death of Dependent Parent do I have to paper file

mrichman333

I've looked at Drake's input and at the old ATX input, and I don't see anywhere to even indicate that the dependent parent has died.   The only thing I see is in ATX that asks if a dependent child was born and died in the year and does not have a SSN.  Is there really an input in OneDesk that asks if the dependent (parent) died?  You are asking about the client's return itself and not the 1040 return of the deceased, correct? 

• Like 1

I've looked at Drake's input and at the old ATX input, and I don't see anywhere to even indicate that the dependent parent has died.   The only thing I see is in ATX that asks if a dependent child was born and died in the year and does not have a SSN.  Is there really an input in OneDesk that asks if the dependent (parent) died?  You are asking about the client's return itself and not the 1040 return of the deceased, correct? 

Yes NOT the return of the deceased.

Under the dependent in onedesk there are a bunch of boxes that you can check, such claim exemption, student, and on is deceased, so I checked it, then a place to enter the date of death popped up, I entered the date of death.  The when I finished the return I got a message that the return had to be papered filed due to a deceased dependent.  I just unchecked the recessed box and I'll efile the return.   I knew it had to be a onedesk issue.  I have been having a lot of issues this year.

Thanks

• Like 1

It appears SS is telling IRS when a taxpayer/dependent is deceased on their system when the cross check of Social Security names and numbers are verified in the E-File acceptance/rejection process. I had a return to reject. A "surviving spouse" with all i's dotted and t's crossed was rejected due to fact that "the social security admin has reported that the number of a deceased taxpayer was used on the return"......well, I guess it was....the return plainly stated the taxpayer was deceased and the spouse was "Filing as Surviving Spouse". I don't think they have stopped all such returns this year, but it's probably going to soon be a thing of the past in being able to e-file any return that involves a deceased taxpayer/spouse/dependent.

IRS has been criticized harshly for issuing refunds to taxpayers who were reported by "surviving spouses" that the person had died in a previous year. Just another example of IRS going from one extreme to the other!

• Like 3

I have this same issue with the TP who died and didn't remember ever having to paper file because a spouse or TP died. So, is this a change or a OneDesk issue and I am using OneDesk.

It is with OneDesk. Not 10 minutes ago I e-filed a joint return with TP DOD in July, 2014 and it went through and was accepted without a hitch. I guess I've been lucky to have never had a return reject when a death is reported. 

I have one other return this year for a single deceased woman, a zero balance due return, that her sister will sign as executrix.  I also preparer the sister's return and plan to e-file the return for the deceased while she is here in my office just in case there is a problem.

I have this same issue with the TP who died and didn't remember ever having to paper file because a spouse or TP died. So, is this a change or a OneDesk issue and I am using OneDesk.

This is a ONEDESK issue, the return never got efiled.  When I finished the return and hit "complete" that is when I got a error message for onedesk software.

It is with OneDesk. Not 10 minutes ago I e-filed a joint return with TP DOD in July, 2014 and it went through and was accepted without a hitch. I guess I've been lucky to have never had a return reject when a death is reported. 

I have one other return this year for a single deceased woman, a zero balance due return, that her sister will sign as executrix.  I also preparer the sister's return and plan to e-file the return for the deceased while she is here in my office just in case there is a problem.

To clarify, I never got to efile the return, the onedesk software would not let me efile because I indicated a dependent was deceased.  I unchecked the deceased box and will efile the return latter today when the client comes in to pick up the return.  I'll let you know if it goes through   

To clarify, I never got to efile the return, the onedesk software would not let me efile because I indicated a dependent was deceased.  I unchecked the deceased box and will efile the return latter today when the client comes in to pick up the return.  I'll let you know if it goes through   

I would be careful.  You might get a letter that the return is being examined due to a deceased dependent on the return.  I think this is something the IRS is trying to root out for fraud. 

If it was me, I would print the envelope and mail it.  Explain to the TP that it is being mailed because of fraudsters who are stealing decedent SS#'s.

If your software allows you to indicate a decedent dependent, this would show the IRS that you are telling them everything, rather than giving them information you know to be untrue.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 1

I would be careful.  You might get a letter that the return is being examined due to a deceased dependent on the return.  I think this is something the IRS is trying to root out for fraud. 

If it was me, I would print the envelope and mail it.  Explain to the TP that it is being mailed because of fraudsters who are stealing decedent SS#'s.

If your software allows you to indicate a decedent dependent, this would show the IRS that you are telling them everything, rather than giving them information you know to be untrue.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Newark, CA

The problem is I have no confidence in my software any more.  And I looked high and low and cannot find anything that indicates the return has to be paper filed.

I looked at mine again. This return was rejected due to no total income. The decedent and spouse had SS only so there is no total income so I guess the only option here is to paper file. I told the TP this needed to be done to report to the IRS that her husband was deceased and therefore the IRS would not be looking for any tax returns in his name. First year they went on total SS as well.NC accepted the return but Federal did not which is weird as well.

I took some time and looked through the entire reject code charts from the IRS and mine is apparently correct. So, I am just going to enter $1.00 interest on line 8 and will see if it is accepted. I am with you with not trusting the software any longer. I've seen too many things this year that make me feel terribly uncomfortable. I need to know what else is out there that is somewhat reasonable that handles various levels of returns usually under 150 returns per year.

I took some time and looked through the entire reject code charts from the IRS and mine is apparently correct. So, I am just going to enter $1.00 interest on line 8 and will see if it is accepted. I am with you with not trusting the software any longer. I've seen too many things this year that make me feel terribly uncomfortable. I need to know what else is out there that is somewhat reasonable that handles various levels of returns usually under 150 returns per year.

Terry,

Are you against using ATX?  I use MAX and I have about the same number of clients you do.  I feel it is a great product, even though we went through hell a couple years ago with it.  For the money, I think it gives me a lot.  Support now sucks, but it is better than it was 2 years ago.  I use this board more for support than I do the support phone.

I don't know what you are paying for One Desk, but if you are really that concerned about the software, it might be time to go take another look at ATX.

Tom

Newark, CA

Terry,

Are you against using ATX?  I use MAX and I have about the same number of clients you do.  I feel it is a great product, even though we went through hell a couple years ago with it.  For the money, I think it gives me a lot.  Support now sucks, but it is better than it was 2 years ago.  I use this board more for support than I do the support phone.

I don't know what you are paying for One Desk, but if you are really that concerned about the software, it might be time to go take another look at ATX.

Tom

Newark, CA

Ondesks for 2014 all states unlimited efillng with a early purchase discount was $499

Terry,

Tom

Newark, CA

Tom I am not against using ATX. I was a long time ATX Max user until the CCH takeover. The hell all of you went through plus some issues I have read this year tells me to proceed carefully. Two years ago, all of us went thru hell with one software program or another and I was a victim of the TRX debacle. The support you mention is another issue which is a negative. Remember the days of William and I can't remember the other guys name but they were tops with support. Their pricing is out of my range now but I may try to get a CD after season to do some returns to see if I will put them in the list of choices. Last time I inquired they didn't even bother trying to get my business back.

• Like 1