ATX Community

Need 990 help right now!!

joanmcq

Client that always filed an EZ just got over the limit and I have to file the full 990.  I haven't done one of these since the big changes occurred and I really need some questions answered/clarified. The org is on it's second extension already and it's due Friday.

anyone with experience I could talk to?  

Talked to someone from another board right away.  Might have some more questions but I hope to get it done tonight.  

Today was as bad as tax season, and it ain't over yet.

​I heard that.  I am on my third 990 of the week.  All of them are due (un-extended) tomorrow. The first was a 990-EZ with UBI.  The second was a clean (after I got the financials cleaned up) full 990 with no UBI.  And the third I spend all day on yesterday putting the numbers together and will spend a half day today doing the same before I can even think about the 990.  This is a bit more complicated 990 and I enjoy doing it every year.

Post your questions if you can and I will see if I can help.  I am not taking calls or talking to anyone until I get this one done, but I will be checking in here and will help if I can help.

• Like 1

I have a 990 due on Friday.

I did the 990 about 8 years ago until the org went in another direction.

They have a new Director now.  They sent a Request for Proposal to prepare the 990 for their fiscal year ending in June 2014 on 10 Feb 2015.

They got no response.

The new director called me, desperate, so I quoted a new price.

And I let her know that the 990 is due on May 15th, if it has been properly extended....

Tuesday, she asks if we can meet *next* week.  No, I am on vacation.

Yesterday?  She says can we meet sooner, but....  She just suffered a detached retina and will not be available...

Sometimes, you just never know what might happen.

Rich

• Like 4

I billed almost 15 hours yesterday.  BILLED!  Now I'm trying to get a frikkin notice cleared up; the never ending audit.

the original returns were so screwed up (new SSMC client) that the only way to unwind the whole thing was to send in a return to amend to joint.  This was going to save them about 4k anyways.  First, after I send in the 1040-X to the exam unit with copious explanations of all the issues, next correspondence is an NOD.  I call on it, and the agent says that the mail room probably sent it to the amended returns unit instead of exam (even though that was where it was addressed to.) had POAs on both clients, and then voila! We find it reported under the spouse that wasn't under exam.  So I fax in a not her letter explaining they had to link the two accounts.

finally get a notice saying the 4k refund was coming.

Then a few days ago get a new notice billing the spouse under exam for 3k.  Call IRS and apparently wife has a W2c on the books.  Ya know how you are only supposed to fill out the boxes that have changed?  So what changed was the wages, SS wages & tax, & Medicare wages & tax.  So what ever dumb ass entered it, put zeroes in the boxes that didn't change.  11k+ withholding vanishes.

audit recon I guess.  What a frikkin mess.

• Like 4

After 15 hours of billed time yesterday, you are probably just about in the correct frame of mind to deal with this audit issue.

I cut off at back to back 12 hour billing days last evening.  Finished up the last 990 this morning.  Did some odds and ends, have an appointment at 10 and then I am done.  Had a client stop in yesterday to pick up payroll and I told him I was waist deep in non-profit work with the deadline on the 15th.  And he says, "so this is like a ghost April 15th".  Well put, my friend!

• Like 2

I got the last nonprofit extension done this afternoon, and then went to pick up a pass to a free screening I won to "Tomorrowland".  Scheduled my car to go into the shop to get a couple of recall items fixed so it will be good to go to drive to Vegas for the CSTC conference, where I am taking a class in nonprofits.  Back to my regularly scheduled 4 hours a day, 3-4 days a week workweek!

• Like 2