ATX Community

Conversion from CSA to ATX CAS

TaxmannEA

Does anyone here have any experience with converting from Creative Solutions Accounting to ATX Client Accounting Suite? We are considering a switch away from CSA, but don't want to get tied up in repairing data shifts on conversion. I'm needing some opinions on the process. We have about 125 accounting clients and 50+ payroll accounts.

Edited by TaxmannEA
add'l information

First of all, you should be aware, if it matters, that ATX is discontinuing their separately standing Fixed Asset Manager after this year.  If you are using Thompson's Fixed Asset program, this may be a concern for you.

We made the switch, with similar numbers to yours, back at the end of 2009.  I do not remember the experience being traumatic, so it must have went relatively smoothly.   I do remember backing up files before the conversion and then comparing the ATX trial balance to the CSA trial balance.  And again, I do not recall any issues.  So it must have gone smoothly.  You might want to see if ATX will let you try a conversion with a demo copy of the program.

Jack is right that no conversion is seamless -- but if done carefully, no conversion need be a tear-your-hair-out nightmare, either.  Read the instructions carefully, back everything up (maybe more than once in more than one location), try a test case that's easy, try a test case that's complex.  If those look good, go for it!  But definitely check everything afterwards.

When I converted to Drake I had several assets that had small errors.  less than one afternoon took care of the whole of it, though. from start to finish.

CSA is a horrible, clunky program.  I use Ultratax CS and think very highly of it (except the tax projections), but CSA doesn't earn the same praise.  We ended our subscription to CSA this year and you know what--we can't use it to prepare late 1099s etc for 2014.  But we PAID for 2014. Do be sure to back up everything.  We are now using ATX for payroll and tax reporting documents--a world of difference in ease of use--for those clients who are not yet in Quickbooks.

Quickbooks certainly has its flaws, especially the ever-increasing price--but we've recently tried QB in the cloud and are amazed.  We can download bank statements, code entries the first time, and then every month download the statements and almost everything goes exactly where it's supposed to.  What a time saver.  Accuracy is increased when the bookkeeper doesn't have to enter numbers.  Hope your conversion goes smoothly.

...  We ended our subscription to CSA this year and you know what--we can't use it to prepare late 1099s etc for 2014.  But we PAID for 2014. Do be sure to back up everything. 

This is what the software companies are doing.  I had Peachtree (Sage) for years.  I didn't renew this past year.  Now I can't use the previous year version which I paid for and have installed on my computer.  I can only read what I previously have entered.  I can't make changes or start a new company.  It's called software as a service (saas) whether it's in the cloud or on your machine.

CSA has been getting quirky with us lately. The cost is another factor along with the cumbersome nature of the setups, etc. We recently contacted them about an error in our bill and later received an invoice for a $21 time charge for the call. Our bookkeeper had fun with that one! ( She's mean!)

Edited by TaxmannEA
sp