ATX Community

1098-T ATX input

Margaret CPA in OH

It's likely I am missing something that is obvious but I am not finding the data entry field for tuition and fees PAID, not just what was billed.  My son's form has only Box 2, what was billed.  However, he paid a chunk of what was billed in 2014 in January 2015.  ATX is carrying only Box 2 amount for paid.  For 2014 data entry, one enters the amount actually paid in a blue field.  For 2015, it just carries over the amount billed.  As part of what he actually paid in 2015 is tuition and fees, I am struggling to find the place to enter this amount.  The difference mean about $300.  Any help is welcome!

Thanks, Ron and Rita, but I have looked over the entire data entry screen and do not see a place to put in what was actually paid.  His 1098-T does not show payments received in Box 1.  If I put it into box one, it adds that to Box 2 which is incorrect.  Further down scrolling the options are for the amounts NOT paid.  I ended up adding the difference to the Fees lower down but that isn't precisely correct.

Hah!  Abby just showed the answer.  I was foolishly trying to input the figures as shown on the form.  Wrong!

Thanks, all!  Sometimes we just have to do whatever it takes to get the right answer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just want to report that I can never get the right answer with the ATX 1098-T input.  For example, pretend the kid had 3,000 in tuition, 3,500 in scholarships, and 800 in books.  All conditions are met to qualify for AOC.  The credit should be $300.  I have to fudge it every time to get the $300.  Is it just me?