ATX Community

ANOTHER IRS EMAIL SCAM

Lee B

COPIED FROM THE NAEA NEWSLETTER:

To:
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2016 7:40 AM
Subject: Update Filing Info (IRS)
Dear TaxPayers
The Year 2015 Tax Return is On, Update your E-file immediately For the New Season
Update E-file Now
Internal Revenue Service Lead Development Center
Stop MS5040
24000 Avila Road
Laguna Niguel, California 92677-3415

In the past two weeks I have gotten three attempted hacks, two from irs.gov (that's what it said).  Those wanted me to log into my PTIN account to access messages in my secure mailbox.  I logged in at the real irs.gov and there were no new messages.  The other supposedly from a client who was sending me his documents "as requested," just click on this secure portal.  This one had enough grammar and spelling errors that even if he was my client I wouldn't want him anymore.

We know the crooks are targeting preparers because we have the info they need.  That darn IRS preparer registry makes our email addresses public, so the crooks know how to reach us.  I'm okay with being in the directory but don't want my email in there.  Is there anyway to opt out?  I belong to two professional associations (NAEA and NATP) and would love to have my email address not available in their directories either.  If you delete that info, though, I think you don't get the good communications from the associations that you want to receive.  I guess by this point even if you were able to redact your email address, it's already out there so you're still a target.  Be scared people, be very scared.

• Like 3

When I'm in need of a break, I call back the various "IRS agents" that have contacted my clients and tell the scammer we're ready with the money and ask for the address to bring it to. Usual answer is on Constitution Avenue in Washington DC. For some reason when I ask them to come to Maui to pick up the tax payment the "agent" hangs up on me....

Aloha!

• Like 2