ATX Community

Paperless, reviewing returns with clients, providing client copies

jklcpa

Jack, I felt the same at first, but that was back in 2012, when I first came across the problem, and bought a plugin cd drive to deal with it.  But now I just accept the reality that, at least for the CLIENTS, which is what we're talking about here, that is the reality.  Why would you want to give the client a CD if they do not have a drive to read it? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Any computing device without an optical drive is a toy and not a computer.

I don't know about that but how are you going to rip mp3s off that CD you just got. Some music is only available as CDs. Most concerts I attend sell only CDs, but a few have been selling MP3 downloads, which is preferable, for several reasons.

1 hour ago, kcjenkins said:

But the new computers don't have CD slots any more, so the only viable option going forward for electronic copies is flash drives.  ;)

Didn't even think about this. Apple computers rarely have CDs.

We have multiple mini-computers in the office that don't have CD drives. I use one at home as a Plex server. CDs will be like those 3.5" floppies in a few years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Roberts said:

We have multiple mini-computers in the office that don't have CD drives. I use one at home as a Plex server. CDs will be like those 3.5" floppies in a few years.

Exactly.  And anyone who has their old tax return on any size floppy is probably out of luck if they need to print a copy for any reason.  That is one thing about a paper copy.  It may be old school, but you do not need any equipment to read it, except maybe eyeglasses, if you're old, like me !

• Like 2

Just now, kcjenkins said:

Exactly.  And anyone who has their old tax return on any size floppy is probably out of luck if they need to print a copy for any reason.  That is one thing about a paper copy.  It may be old school, but you do not need any equipment to read it, except maybe eyeglasses, if you're old, like me !

I need readers over my contacts. ouch.

• Like 1

My practice is conducted over the Internet.  All contacts, docs,returns, etc.  Any document I physically recieved is scanned in and shredded.  None are returned (This is highlighted in my Engagement Letter). Client recieves a password protected copy of the return(s).  After their review and any questions (via the Internet), they return the Form 8879 and I electronically file the return.  When IRS receives the return, I send the a copy of the Form 9325 to the client. They are provided a phone number they can reach me at if necessary...so far this year I have received three calls.

• Like 1