ATX Community

Downloads of client data from broker?

jklcpa

I'm totally frustrated with this. One client that vacations in FL during the winter requested the broker send me his 1099s via secure email. That required me to set up an account with them and a password specific to either their site. This is only one of his investment accounts, not all of his activity.

Today I got a call from elderly client that wants me to download statements directly from her broker, broker must provide the site, the account #s, and doc id #s for me for each of her accounts. It doesn't give me the actual 1099s, but has the information in a csv file. She has a lot of other activity on her returns besides this. She might already have her 1099s, she isn't sure, she's old, she thinks this is better.  According to the broker, she only has 10 broker transactions this year, and the 1099 has the basis for all but 2 of those. She hasn't even set up an appt yet, and has interrupted me numerous times with the same questions, and now this plus the calls from her broker.  How much aggravation fee should I charge? /s 

I prefer to work from the original paper copies of the documents and scan in for storage later.  How many of you do this for each client, would you set up these passwords that you have to maintain and remember from year to year?  

/rant

• Like 2

I have one client that has the broker set up a secure log-in for me to retrieve the documents AND a csv file.  It actually works pretty well - the log in expires in 60 days or so, and I can only retrieve the information that is set up for me to retrieve.  I get electronic copies, and I can import the csv file into the return instead of typing all of the entries for his sales (and he has a lot.) This method I like.  Using their password and logging in as them - I won't do.

• Like 2