ATX Community

How do you proceed? (form 1095-B)

ILLMAS

So far this year I have had about 4-5 people bring in their form 1095-B and the form show coverage only for a few months when the TP has had insurance, been to the doctor, have paid their co-payments for the whole year.  What are the steps you take to complete the return?

11 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

So far this year I have had about 4-5 people bring in their form 1095-B and the form show coverage only for a few months when the TP has had insurance, been to the doctor, have paid their co-payments for the whole year.  What are the steps you take to complete the return?

I am checking the box that they had health insurance all year.

• Like 5

The forms 1095-A & 1095-B are the gospel documents for the taxpayer having coverage.  The taxpayer may not have received all the forms yet.  If he states that he had coverage all year, I would do like RitaB said.  The IRS will not be doing any verification.  They have put out information that if you receive a 1095 after the return is complete, and the return is not accurate, no steps need to be taken.

• Like 2

<<<<<<The forms 1095-A & 1095-B are the gospel documents for the taxpayer having coverage.>>>>>>

How many of these forms have you seen where the information is incorrect?  Such as no individual covered in the "person covered" section. I have seen quite a few. Good thing the IRS isn't verifying these forms. If they were, God only knows what kind of a mess folks would be in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terry D said:

<<<<<<The forms 1095-A & 1095-B are the gospel documents for the taxpayer having coverage.>>>>>>

How many of these forms have you seen where the information is incorrect?  Such as no individual covered in the "person covered" section. I have seen quite a few. Good thing the IRS isn't verifying these forms. If they were, God only knows what kind of a mess folks would be in.

Yes, the forms are the gospel, but it's not like we have to live by them or anything.  At least not yet.  Sorta like it's the Affordable Care Act, but it's not really affordable or anything.

3 hours ago, RitaB said:

Yes, the forms are the gospel, but it's not like we have to live by them or anything.  At least not yet.  Sorta like it's the Affordable Care Act, but it's not really affordable or anything.

Starting tax year 2016, they will be the documentation required.  It was supposed to be tax year 2015, but as usual, the IRS caved on the deadlines. 

I would say that the number of 1095 forms with mistakes is not a higher percentage than W-2s or 1099s with mistakes.  These are the consequences of the ACA that no one would listen to those of us crying out about it in 2008.

Income opportunity. 

I feel privileged that our Congress chose me to be the enforcer of their ill-constructed and worthless insurance laws.  I should get myself a badge...