ATX Community

Driver license for e-filing

GeneInAlabama

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

Can I just say, I almost cried last night when I thought I had this couple wrapped up?  I waited for THREE WEEKS for them to get me summary of expenses and payments for tuition and fees.  I look at his W-2s and there are three more states to do.  (And can we just line up people who use six point font and shoot them?)

My point about AL, and I do have one, is AL wants everything on that Drivers License to efile?  (Ok, not height and weight.) 

I considered calling the taxpayers for about three seconds, then I said, "To %#&& with that idea, paper file here we come."

I didn't even know about that until I filed my first return for this year.  I still keep forgetting to ask for that information when people bring their papers in.  It seems like at least one out of every ten people have just renewed their license and have temporary licenses.  I don't know if the state will accept the temporary expiration date so I just have them give me their new expiration date when they get it.  I have only had two clients this year that I prepared their return while they waited and their dates were OK.

• Like 2

Alabama Society of CPAs > State Issued Driver's License Required When Filing 2015 Income Tax Return

In an effort to provide a solution for the Alabama Department of Revenue Drivers' License requirement for all e-filed returns, specifically those individuals who do not have an Alabama Drivers' License or a state issued non-driver identification, the ASCPA State Taxation Committee has worked with the ADOR to offer guidance for immediate problem. The ADOR announcement below is effective immediately:

In a continual effort to fight stolen identity tax refund fraud the Alabama Department of Revenue is requiring taxpayers provide their state issued driver's license (or state issued non-drivers ID) when electronically filing their 2015 income tax return. 

Tax preparers should make a good faith effort to obtain the actual drivers' license or state issued non-drivers' id from their clients. In the event that your client is a child or elderly person without a driver's license or state issued non-drivers id you may enter the following information in order to electronically file the tax return for your client:

Driver's License #: 7777777
Driver's License State: AL
Issue Date: 11/1/11
Expiration date: 11/1/17

Children and the elderly are often the target of criminals, the Department will take additional steps to validate refund claims filed using the above information.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2016 at 7:43 PM, Lion EA said:
Alabama Society of CPAs > State Issued Driver's License Required When Filing 2015 Income Tax Return

In an effort to provide a solution for the Alabama Department of Revenue Drivers' License requirement for all e-filed returns, specifically those individuals who do not have an Alabama Drivers' License or a state issued non-driver identification, the ASCPA State Taxation Committee has worked with the ADOR to offer guidance for immediate problem. The ADOR announcement below is effective immediately:

In a continual effort to fight stolen identity tax refund fraud the Alabama Department of Revenue is requiring taxpayers provide their state issued driver's license (or state issued non-drivers ID) when electronically filing their 2015 income tax return. 

Tax preparers should make a good faith effort to obtain the actual drivers' license or state issued non-drivers' id from their clients. In the event that your client is a child or elderly person without a driver's license or state issued non-drivers id you may enter the following information in order to electronically file the tax return for your client:

Driver's License #: 7777777
Driver's License State: AL
Issue Date: 11/1/11
Expiration date: 11/1/17

Children and the elderly are often the target of criminals, the Department will take additional steps to validate refund claims filed using the above information.

I had one client that was blind and didn't have a drivers license.  Her state ID did not have an expiration date so I had to paper file that return.