ATX Community

Non_Resident Tax After Installment Sale

Richcpaman

JK:

Thank you for that.  And I have read that subsection.

If the DE building was sold at a loss, and there was a mortgage, and only interest was being paid, I do not believe that we would have to pay DE NR tax. 

Since it was sold at a gain, plus interest, we have to pay DE NR Tax.

That does not make sense to me.  In the year of sale, you have to pay, but in the years after, you have disconnected from the state and have an intangible asset, which is excluded.

Rich 

It does make sense if you look back to sec 1121 and the words " as if such individual were a resident" and all of sec 1122 and apply that 1124. If that nonresident were a resident, they would pay tax on the entire gain over the installment period.

Delaware would say that it isn't an intangible, it is a deferral of the gain to future periods because of the installment sale.  It *might* convert to an intangible in someone else's hands, such as someone purchasing the note at a discount, or possibly a nonresident beneficiary of an estate inheriting an installment note with future payments left on it.