ATX Community

Microsoft ends Windows 7 updating pain with massive patch

Abby Normal

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/18/microsoft-windows-7-service-pack/

I find this interesting:

Going forward, Microsoft will offer monthly non-security rollups for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 via Windows Update. In other words, a single monthly patch will cover all non-security related fixes, while security releases will roll out whenever they're needed.

...but I don't look forward to multiple security updates during the month.

• Like 4

Turn off automatic windows updates and do them manually when you are bored (or leaving for lunch).

Too many times I've been leaving for a meeting or trying to avoid rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon and my laptop went into update mode. Now I do a manual monthly update when I go to lunch and I know what's being updated.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Turn off automatic windows updates and do them manually when you are bored (or leaving for lunch).

Too many times I've been leaving for a meeting or trying to avoid rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon and my laptop went into update mode. Now I do a manual monthly update when I go to lunch and I know what's being updated.

That's one of the first things I do on a new computer. And I turn off the 'install recommended updates along with important updates'. Then when 2nd Tuesday updates are released, I usually wait a day or more and research online for any issues. Sometimes I just install the critical security updates and wait a little longer to install the rest.

Are you saying you're going to hold off on security updates that will now be released randomly throughout the month, instead once a month like they are now?

JMO but Windows updates aren't half the problem as the random free Adobe and Oracle products on your computer. Even drivers for your printer are likely as vulnerable as Windows itself. Many wifi printers are exceptionally vulnerable. How often do you check the software updates on your router?

If you are really worried about safety you should be updating to Windows 10. It's safer than the previous versions.

windows had a known vulnerability that went all the way back to 3.1 and continued in each version - they didn't do anything about it until Win 10. A 2 week delay is a blip.

I don't install ANY updates (of any kind) between January 2nd and April 15th.  On principle.  Then I have all kinds of fun installing a zillion of them.  Yes, I know, I should install the "critical" updates.  But then I have to wade through the growing backlog of "you haven't installed THIS one yet!" messages.

• Like 1

We use SUMo to check for updates on other software and have Flash, Java and most other programs checking for updates automatically. We don't wifi anything in our office. The thought of data being broadcast into the ether makes me nervous. We don't even allow wireless keyboards for the same reason.

An IT guy I used to work with would drive around to various offices and connect to their open wifi, then go inside and show the owners how vulnerable their private data was. He got a lot of work that way.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2016 at 3:09 PM, Catherine said:

I don't install ANY updates (of any kind) between January 2nd and April 15th.  On principle. 

I update individual software products, not Windows itself during that period. No time - the risk to a meltdown is greater than the risk of a hack.

Client always tells me I should shift to Linux - reality is that it's just as vulnerable as Windows. Another client is a Linux developer and said because of its fragmentation of ownership - it doesn't get the news stories that a Windows hack gets.

• Like 2