ATX Community

Possible switch to ATX. Can ATX handle the complexity?

SaraEA

Backups are instantaneous in ATX. You must be referring to exporting, which takes awhile. My backup of ATX backups (& data) happens in the background. ATX takes 6 seconds to start, which doesn't slow me down at all. I write macros (scripts) in AutoHotkey which I use in windows and many other programs on my computer, as well as ATX. (I've been meaning to post my AutoHotkey script in case anyone is interested.)

To each his or her own. I'm glad we all have the choice of several different tax programs.

• Like 3

Since this is considered an ATX  Community, and I am an ATX user, I will answer the original poster with that POV.

That said, *If* I was to leave my ATX software, I would move to Drake.

I have 4-5 staff members trained in how to use ATX, and I know all the shortcuts and "how do you do THAT!" figured out. Moving to another software would cost me a lot of training dollars and possible client disruptions.  And, I like the price point. With about 550 returns of various types, I end up with a cost of about $3 a return for software.  With UT or Lacerte, it would be north of $20 to $30 a return.  Drake's pricing is similar to ATX's.

As for PDF copies of the returns, client data, engagements and 8879's, I do all that using Adobe Acrobat, similar the Abby.  I just have a directory by client name, that *I* control.  I do not want to lose access to my data because I used a proprietary software solution.  For a larger firm, with multiple offices, maybe a FC solution would be easier to implement.  But *I* am not losing access to *MY* data.

I was surprised at the access fee that UT is charging before you prepare your *first* return.  And to retain access to prior year info.  Blech.  But, As recommended, it can help the transition to the new software.  Not all the returns need to be in UT, and that decision can be made on a client by client basis, and as you get more comfortable with the new software, fewer and fewer clients will be in UT.

Rich

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Richcpaman said:

That said, *If* I was to leave my ATX software, I would move to Drake

It really is, unfortunately, down to just those two, maybe three if you count TaxWise. I remember when we had many more viable options, but there's been a lot of consolidation.

• Like 1