ATX Community

"Not approved for paper filing"

BCinSC

Quite a few forms for SC still have the watermark "Not approved for paper filing" on them. I get no reponse to e-mails to Tech Support, no info on MyATX, and find no way to get the watermark off the form. I have clients who are threatening to take their returns elsewhere because I cannot finalize their returns.

Any SC preparers finding ways to work around the "Not approved" issue? I need to get these returns out the door.

Quite a few forms for SC still have the watermark "Not approved for paper filing" on them... ...I have clients who are threatening to take their returns elsewhere because I cannot finalize their returns./quote]

The watermark only means that the form is not approved for PAPER filing. E-file will work, since only the data is sent.

You can do paper by hand, print from the SC website, or E-file. There are always options. To say I CANNOT finalize their returns is a misnomer. Sometimes we have to do "a little extra" for our clients.

ATX has to wait for approval of their forms from SC, and in years past, my experience with Ohio has been, that sometimes the states do not put approval of software company's forms very high on the priority list.

I assume from your post that you are paper filing. Unfortunately, SC doesn't offer the "Web-Fil" forms that many other states offer. That means you can't fill in the form on their site and then print it, but you can print the blank form and then fill it in by hand or type it. But I've taken that approach when it was necessary. Another possibility is to give the client their Fed forms for filing and tell them you'll get their SC forms to them as soon as available. I assume you're updating regularly, but I did notice quite a few SC forms on the update I did yesterday.

Why are you guys trying to fight the system... states are forcing tax preparers to efile. I do not tell people that the forms are not ready because I simply efile. It is easier, more convinient and secured.

Not to mention it saves me time now and later -- no letters from IRS due to their "input" errors.

Wasn't there something that the IRS was going to require everyone to e-file by the year 2010? Or was that wishful thinking on the IRS' part?