ATX Community

Wash Sale Rule

Christian

A client has sold some stock today December 23 and may wish to buy back the same security after the 30 day wash sale waiting period. He incurred a loss. Counting the date of sale (December 23) I arrive at January 22 as the date he could buy back shares without penalty. In looking at the calendar it's a moot point as the exchange is closed on that Sunday. Would any of you calculate it differently ?

Client had wash sale losses disallowed last year - very clearly on his 1099. Somehow, it became my fault that Fidelity caught that his wife screwed up. Somehow it shocked him that I would believe the 1099 for wash sales but he had no problem with me believing them on dividends and interest. Same client declares every year that it is MY responsibility to do tax returns for his IRA accounts that hold MLPs. I keep explaining it's Fidelity's responsibility but he either can't remember or refuses to remember we've gone through this for 5 years.

Wash Sale is a 61 day blackout window. Trade day is that "1" and then it's 30 days on either side. I'd buy on the 31st day which is January 23rd.

10 hours ago, Roberts said:

Client had wash sale losses disallowed last year - very clearly on his 1099. Somehow, it became my fault that Fidelity caught that his wife screwed up. Somehow it shocked him that I would believe the 1099 for wash sales but he had no problem with me believing them on dividends and interest. Same client declares every year that it is MY responsibility to do tax returns for his IRA accounts that hold MLPs. I keep explaining it's Fidelity's responsibility but he either can't remember or refuses to remember we've gone through this for 5 years.

Wash Sale is a 61 day blackout window. Trade day is that "1" and then it's 30 days on either side. I'd buy on the 31st day which is January 23rd.

Why is he still your client?  He insults your integrity and professionalism when he accuses you the second and every subsequent time.  Send him to H&R.  They can ignore his wash sales and get away with it.

• Like 3