ATX Community

Agency Reject Error IND-196

LisaAnn

Hi Everyone,

I hope your season is starting off better than mine!

I just received my first submission with a Agency Reject ... IND-196   'IPAddress' in 'AtSubmissionFilingGrp' in 'FilingSecurityInformation' in the Return Header must have a valid value.

Does anyone have any idea what this is trying to tell me in English?

Your help is always appreciated !

From ATX  (answer is for 996) - I "Bing"'d ind 196 reject code and this was one of the answers: seems to go to your wording "Filing Security Information", etc.

IRS reject code IND-180 and IND-996

Answer ID 14183   |    Document ID   |    Published 03/04/2013 06:52 AM   |    Updated 04/21/2016 01:36 PM

Your client's 1040 e-file is rejected with one or both codes, citing the following:

The Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IPPIN) must match the e-File database. Please double check your entry and resubmit your return with the correct number.

The Dependent/Qualifying Person Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) provided on the return is not valid. Please visit www.irs.gov/getanippin for further information and resubmit your return with the correct number.

The tax return has a value for the Identity Protection Personal Identification Number. Verify the number entered with the number on the IRS correspondence received by the taxpayer. The taxpayer is issued a new IPPIN each tax year. If the taxpayer cannot locate their IPPIN they can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Taxpayers who have had an IP PIN in the past but have not received one automatically can request one at www.irs.gov/getanippin.
Note: Request must be made after February 2nd 

There is also a pilot program for taxpayers to opt into the IP PIN, to avoid identity theft. This has been expanded to 3 states (FL, GA, DC). Taxpayers in these 3 states can go to www.irs.gov/getanippin and opt-in to the program.

Thank you.  However, neither of these taxpayers had IP PIN numbers issued for identity theft.

I entered a case # with ATX, hopefully they will get back to me with some answers.  It's sounding like an 'IP Address' issue, yet it gets cleared through ATX. 

I will post the resolution when one is found....hopefully that is sooner rather than later

Thank you again.

3 hours ago, LisaAnn said:

Hi Everyone,

I hope your season is starting off better than mine!

I just received my first submission with a Agency Reject ... IND-196   'IPAddress' in 'AtSubmissionFilingGrp' in 'FilingSecurityInformation' in the Return Header must have a valid value.

Does anyone have any idea what this is trying to tell me in English?

Your help is always appreciated !

Make sure you update your forms then recreate the return and transmit again.  I read something about this on ATX Blog