ATX Community

MA & NC efile for out of state preparer?

joanmcq

Have a client with both MA and NC NR returns. Can I efile them if I am accepted for federal efile?

MA at least _used_ to require a pre-registration with them. However, I don't know if it's still in effect. They're really pushing e-file for their own reasons.

I'd say to try -- you can always warn your clients that you don't know if it will go through, and will provide a paper-filing copy if it doesn't.

Also be warned that there have been lots of e-filing problems in MA this year. Some are ATX problems (the program was deleting leading "0's" in SSN's - and because of the SSN numbering system, _lots_ of MA people's SSN's start with "0"). Som e are MA problems - many associated with the new MA-HC form with the newly _mandated_ health insurance coverage that they put the MassDOR in charge of enforcing. (Other errors, too: I had a couple that just moved here rejected because their SSN's didn't match DOR records, then tried again and it went through). There have also been lots of delays in getting ack's.

So good luck, but this is an even-more-frustrating-than-usual year for dealing with MassDOR (completely separately from any/all ATX issues!).

Catherine

I spoke to the client yesterday after I posted, and he said that apparently MA didn't have the NR form approved for efile last year. However, he used TurboTax last year, so I don't know if that was a TT issue or if the form really can't be efiled. Do you know?

I spoke to the client yesterday after I posted, and he said that apparently MA didn't have the NR form approved for efile last year. However, he used TurboTax last year, so I don't know if that was a TT issue or if the form really can't be efiled. Do you know?

Absolutely MA Form 1 NR/PY can be e-filed. Many programs don't carry the form, however, which very effectively _prevents_ that program from e-filing.

One reason I switched to ATX was that my previous software did not carry the PY/NR MA forms, and I get several every year. They take _forever_ to do by hand.... and it looks tacky, as well.

Catherine