ATX Community

Efile rejection

Christian

Agree with Jack.  The IRS computer takes info from the SSA computer, so your client has to start with the SSA to discover the mismatch between what the SS card says and what the computer stores.  Only after the SSA updates information can you really start with the IRS.

Paper file.

Are you sure your client didn't have a name change?  Did you e-file them last year?  Do they have one of those ID theft PINs?

• Like 2

It is an odd situation. I prepared her return some three years ago (2014). She had a social security card showing her new married name but her older return she brought was in her maiden name. I efiled the return using the card only to having to re-efile the return to get it accepted using the maiden name. She came in this year after a three year absence. I assumed by now the Service and Social Security would have updated her info but no luck so I tried her maiden name again with no luck. I asked her to call them which she did and she was told the file was still in her maiden name. She says she has been incarcerated the last two years ( a first for me and much to my surprise) but I find no material that this disqualifies her for an earned income credit . The rejection notice indicates a name ssn mismatch. I have rechecked all my info which is correct. She hyphenated the last name on her new card. That may be the problem but who knows. She will mail her return with a copy of her social security card included with her return and better luck next year. Thanks for your responsces.