ATX Community

IRS alerts practitioners of e-Services account suspensions

Elrod

The IRS announced on Monday that as of Sunday it has suspended the e-Services accounts of users who failed to verify their identities in accordance with letters sent out in December. Practitioners can reinstate a suspended account by re-registering and revalidating their identity.

The IRS said that it mailed letters between Dec. 1 and 16 to those users who had been active on their accounts in the past year and who had access to the Transcript Delivery System. These e-Services users had 30 days to verify their identities as part of the IRS’s increased effort to secure the e-Services program and better protect taxpayer data.

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2017/feb/irs-account-suspensions-for-failing-to-re-register-201715977.html

Yep, I couldn't do it the regular way, because the IRS said that AT&T said my cell is not in my name.  AT&T said it is; the bill is in my name; my name displays when I call someone.  I had to wait for something in the mail.  That only let me do that Get My Transcript thing.  I couldn't identify myself via telephone, because i get no 1099s/W-2s in my name/SSN (name/EIN plus one that always has a typo, different typo every year, but always a typo).  Was on the wait list for an appointment at an IRS center in a distant town.  e-Services still rejects me.  It's on my to-do list, but who has time now?!  Just hope I can get through without needing e-Services.

• Like 4

I too had to verify by phone because the online process wouldn't work, and I too was told I was good to go.  I have gotten into eservices since so assume everything is okay.  BUT, they never asked me for my cell phone number, and I thought to get in from now on you need two-factor authentication (code sent to your cell everytime you log in).  Did they ask you for cell info?