ATX Community

A NEW SCAM ?

Lee B

I received this email today. I don't know anyone who uses efax and I don't recognize the fax number, so I didn't click on it. Are there any efax users that thinks this is legitimate ?

You have received 1 (one) new document, 3 page(s) via efax .com .

Sender  :   485-387-1718
Date      :   1 March 2017
Page(s) :   3

Your document can be viewed online, by visiting our website: https: // www .efax . com/files/viewfax. aspx?doc_id=1140466   (mod edit  <--- this now nonfunctional link originally went to gangvape. nz ..something or another)

For additional help, please visit our assistance center at https: // www . efax . com/ efax-help-center

Thank you for choosing  eFax

eFax_Outbound_Fax&sz=160x600&c=

Edited by jklcpa
REMOVED LINKS!

I removed all of the links and made a notation in orange of the one that appeared to be malicious. The others did link to a site called eFax but have no idea if the site itself is infected or legit.

In future, I'd suggest that you disable the active links that you think may be harmful when posting about them here. I don't think anyone would intentionally click on one, but to be totally safe I went through and modified your post and used underlining and a colored font so that we see where the original links appeared but are now nonfunctional.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cbslee said:

OK, how did you disable the active links and how did you determine one might be questionable ?

I had to retype the characters that made up the links, use one of the blue colors available for the font on this forum, and use the underline to format so that it appeared the same as the link in your post.  Sometimes it is also necessary to insert spaces when the link starts has "http" or "www" because it was still trying to create a clickable link when I typed it without spaces. That is also why sometimes you'll see people actually type "dot com" because that also disables a clickable link.  After that, I then deleted the actual links. 

In your browser when looking at any site with links, you should be able to see a small popup somewhere on your screen when you point to any link. Mine shows up in the lower left corner of the screen and will show the actual web address where the link will take you to without actually having to click on it. It works in emails too.

Try pointing at THIS LINK and you should see that it would take you to my profile here on this forum.