ATX Community

Identity Theft

Terry D EA

Lion, I read the gov't reports on the funny business going on in get my transcript and the IP PIN websites.  They were indeed caused by crooks who were able to answer the questions supposedly only the real taxpayer would know.  The IRS said it had used the same system in place when you get your free credit report.  Well, I used that same system for my uncle when I was setting up online access to his brokerage account.  (I had POA.)  One question was when he acquired his home.  Hmmm...his mother signed it over to him and his sister over 30 years ago, and when the sister died 10 years ago it went into his name only.  None of the possible answers included any date remotely close to those events.  First time I guessed wrong, got out and went back in and guessed wrong again.  Third try bingo.  So maybe the crooks didn't need to know anything about the real person, just used the process of elimination.  It is a very weak system, and the crooks can still use it to view your credit reports that contain info like past addresses and old mortgages.  Heaven help us all.

• Like 1

I can never pass those "public database" type questions.  They have too much information that has to do with my ex (1987 divorce) and his second wife.  I don't know what street they lived on in Syracuse or what bank gave them a mortgage in Philly or how many cards they have from Brooks Brothers.  I always fail.  Couldn't reactivate my e-Services account online or even by telephone but had to wait for codes to arrive in the mail.  I don't get any W-2s or 1099s in my name/SSN except the one from my sharecroppers who always, every single year have a typo; a different typo each year, but a typo.  And, IRS says my cell is not in my name, but AT&T says it is in my name so can't change it to my name.  I can't prove I'm me, but some thief in Turkey or someplace can prove he's me!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Terry D said:

Reading all of this, I am beginning to wonder if freezing my credit will be good enough. According to the credit bureaus it should be. Well, "should be" is not an absolute. Maybe I didn't hear them correctly.

I think it is the best you can hope for.  My clients in LA (H & W) whose credit breach was also traced to Walmart, and a tax return was also filed in their names, asked me what to do.  Since I've had excellent results with the credit freeze they went for it too.  It's been 3 years for them and about 4 for me.  Never another problem and my credit score I just checked is 850, so it must be good for something.  You won't even be able to get a cable hook up or phone without lifting it for a day but it's very easy, takes a minute online or phone call.  

I recommend the credit freeze to family and friends because of all the hacking and whacking going on.   The only problem I can foresee is when my brother misplaces his PIN they give you and he blames me.  

• Like 4