ATX Community

I wish ATX had an automatic extension letter

schirallicpa

4 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

ooohhhhhh- it didn't occur to me.  My secretary will change the template for the normal letters, but I have never monkeyed with it, and she did not think of it.  Awesome.  Thank you.

From Return Manager, go to Tools, Client Communication Manager and start with the Blank template and you can make it as pretty as you want. Save As Extension Letter.

• 2 months later...

Abby Normal is there anyway for you to export that template and share it with us.  If you can't export it then maybe you could cut and paste a copy of the template showing the variables that you used.

Edited by AH CPA
Correct grammar

Pre-written extension letter templates should be included with ATX for all returns that can be put on extensions.  ATX customers have been complaining about this for years.  I don't know of any of their competitors that don't included pre-packaged out of the box client extension letters with their tax software.  

Not all extensions have $0 tax due and eFile signature authorization forms are required.  Therefore, the product should be able to generate an instruction letter telling the client that $X dollars are going to be paid on X date from there bank account and that they have to sign and return the eFile signature authorization form to the tax preparer before their extension will be transmitted just like the tax return itself.

It's shortsighted of CCH to refuse to put pre-written client extension instruction letters in their product.  This would probably take their programmers a day or two to create this template for all federal and state returns that can go on extensions.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AH CPA said:

Abby Normal is there anyway for you to export that template and share it with us.  If you can't export it then maybe you could cut and paste a copy of the template showing the variables that you used.

I don't have an extension letter but here is a copy paste of my estimate letter I created from scratch:

[Federal - Preparer's office/name]
[Federal - Preparer's street]
[Federal - Preparer's city, state, zip]
[Federal - Preparer's telephone]

[Federal - Taxpayer's name]
[Federal - Taxpayer's street]
[Federal - Taxpayer's city] [Federal - Taxpayer's state] [Federal - Taxpayer's zip code]

This is a reminder that your quarterly estimated payments are due. The amounts due, the due dates and the mailing addresses are on the attached voucher(s).

Always write the tax year the payments are for ([Federal - Next year of return]) and the form number (1040ES, 502DEP, etc.) on your check.

If you prefer, you can make federal tax payments at:
irs.gov/Payments

You can make MD tax payments at:
interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/Payment

You can make PA tax payments at:
www.doreservices.state.pa.us/pitservices/

You can make CT tax payments at:
www.ct.gov/tsc

You can make IL tax payments at:
mytax.illinois.gov

You can make VA tax payments at:
tax.virginia.gov/payments

You can make WV tax payments at:
mytaxes.wvtax.gov

If you have any questions, please give us a call at [Federal - Preparer's telephone].

Hope all is well in your world. Thank you for choosing us to prepare your taxes!

Sincerely,
[Federal - Preparer's office/name]

Thanks Abby Normal I really appreciate your response.  I guess I'll have to tinker around with it to see if I can get something usable.

However, it would be great if the ATX community could all start writing in that they want this feature.  If they get enough requests maybe they will add this to their product.  This would really take very little time and money for ATX to implement.