ATX Community

Cmputer died

The computer I was using to send my tax return to ATX has died and I still have 5 returns to do. Can I load my program to a second computer and transmit returns form there. Will ATX accept them? I seems to remember sometimes back it said something to the effect that it may cause mix in with DSN number but I do no seem to have any choice.

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

Shouldn't be a problem to install on another machine.

MeF did away with the DCN when it started using the submission ID numbers but some states were still using them.  ATX (I think in '15)may have removed the DCN from the e-file manager, but it might still be in the setup somewhere.  You know I don't use ATX any more, but if I recall correctly, the DCN starting number was in the preparer setup/preparer manager area. IF it's still in the program's setup, then all you should have to do is to tell the program to start the DCN series with a number higher than the last return you filed through the old computer so that there isn't an overlap of numbers used for filing.  If you don't know the last number, but know that you usually file about 300 returns, just start the new machine with something like '400' and you shouldn't have a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

Shouldn't be a problem to install on another machine.

MeF did away with the DCN when it started using the submission ID numbers but some states were still using them.  ATX (I think in '15)may have removed the DCN from the e-file manager, but it might still be in the setup somewhere.  You know I don't use ATX any more, but if I recall correctly, the DCN starting number was in the preparer setup/preparer manager area. IF it's still in the program's setup, then all you should have to do is to tell the program to start the DCN series with a number higher than the last return you filed through the old computer so that there isn't an overlap of numbers used for filing.  If you don't know the last number, but know that you usually file about 300 returns, just start the new machine with something like '400' and you shouldn't have a problem.

I think this will work.  Although we're only sending efiles from one computer now; several years ago for some reason I wanted to also send in returns at the same time on our second computer.  So, I just (as you say) jumped the beginning number up about 500 numbers or so and everything went through just fine.

• Like 1