ATX Community

Education deduction

taxbookie

I have a client with a semi mentally handicap child (15yrs old).

They sent him to a specialized school and it cost them $25000.00. This was totally optional on their part.

Do you think that this would be deductable? I told the client no but wanted somebody else's thought on it.

Thanks for your reply.

taxbookie

I have a client with a semi mentally handicap child (15yrs old).

They sent him to a specialized school and it cost them $25000.00. This was totally optional on their part.

Do you think that this would be deductable? I told the client no but wanted somebody else's thought on it.

Thanks for your reply.

taxbookie

From IRS Pub 502"

Special Education

You can include in medical expenses fees you pay on a doctor's recommendation for a child's tutoring by a teacher who is specially trained and qualified to work with children who have learning disabilities caused by mental or physical impairments, including nervous system disorders.

You can include in medical expenses the cost (tuition, meals, and lodging) of attending a school that furnishes special education to help a child to overcome learning disabilities. A doctor must recommend that the child attend the school. Overcoming the learning disabilities must be a principal reason for attending the school, and any ordinary education received must be incidental to the special education provided. Special education includes:

Teaching Braille to a visually impaired person,

Teaching lip reading to a hearing-impaired person, or

Giving remedial language training to correct a condition caused by a birth defect.

You cannot include in medical expenses the cost of sending a problem child to a school where the course of study and the disciplinary methods have a beneficial effect on the child's attitude if the availability of medical care in the school is not a principal reason for sending the student there.

Also, consider telling your client "I don't know, but I will research it" when you aren't sure. They appreciate that because most clients realize (and if not I tell them) that certain new situations (new to me) come up from time to time and rather say "no"......" let me get back to you after I do some research".

Cathy

Also, consider telling your client "I don't know, but I will research it" when you aren't sure. They appreciate that because most clients realize (and if not I tell them) that certain new situations (new to me) come up from time to time and rather say "no"......" let me get back to you after I do some research".

Cathy