ATX Community

CA FTF Penalty Abatement

jasdlm

Client came to me in the fall and had self-filed prior to that time.  TP is a schedule C consultant and did some work for a CA client.  TP did not realize a CA return was needed.  Established time spent in CA, and a return was in fact required.  Filed the return, paid the tax, interest, and substantial FTF penalty owed, and requested a reasonable cause penalty abatement.  Received an immediate 'denied' letter.  Any point in appealing?  TP would have done what was right, regardless, and corrected the error immediately once I pointed it out.  I'm sure TP will send all friends/colleagues to me, as i encouraged TP to file the past returns (not sure how CA would have even known) and now, I cannot get the FTF penalty waived.

Anyone with CA experience have a recommendation?  This is the first penalty abatement request I've ever had denied.  I'm staying out of CA!

Thanks much!

Actually, there have been very aggressive for years. Back in the late 70's, I was an Accounting Supervisor for a Oregon Wood Products Company with 3 mills in California.

They would send 2 tax auditors to our headquarters in Oregon, every year, who would spend a full week  going thru everything, making sure that we had documentation

for everything.

• Like 1