ATX Community

Gremlins in my computer

Lee B

I turn my 64 bit Win 7 Pro off at the end of each workday.

Yesterday morning, when I came to work Microsoft Security Essentials was turned off, which I am positive I didn't do !

This morning, when I booted up, my system automatically ran a MS OS update, which  I always have set to notify me, then I choose when to run the update.

When I checked my update settings, it had changed to auto update ?

The only new software on my system in the last year is Drake.  Does Drake instigate OS setting changes ?

I guess it is Friday, maybe I should just go back to bed.

• Like 2

Drake's program wouldn't cause this.  Even though you say Drake is the only new program, do you have any programs set to auto-update, or running any other AV like Malwarebytes?  It might only be a conflict with another program that updated and not a virus or malware infection that turned it off.  A conflict shouldn't switch your setting over to auto update though.  I'd check the list of installed updates and installed programs through Control Panel to see if anything pops out there.  Run scans through any AV programs for a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

Drake's program wouldn't cause this.  Even though you say Drake is the only new program, do you have any programs set to auto-update, or running any other AV like Malwarebytes?  It might only be a conflict with another program that updated and not a virus or malware infection that turned it off.  A conflict shouldn't switch your setting over to auto update though.  I'd check the list of installed updates and installed programs through Control Panel to see if anything pops out there.  Run scans through any AV programs for a start.

I do have Malwarebytes as a passive backup to MSE but it only updates when I tell it to.

My practice is to never allow any autoupdates.

I did use Windows to find the drivers etc, when I installed an HP Laserjet Printer, but that was several weeks ago ?

Would that have turned off MSE and turned on autoupdate ?