ATX Community

IRS pursuing self-employment taxes from LLC members

Abby Normal

The IRS should have cleared this up years ago by finalizing the proposed regulations.

I had an audit of an LLC member who was not active in the business at all, and the IRS agreed with me that the member was not subject to self-employment (SE) tax. The agent told me that the IRS was using a 'facts and circumstances' decision making process for these cases.

• Like 2

It sounds interesting that two of the three cases were attorneys. If attorneys' behinds were kicked by the IRS, we have to raise our white flag as soon as the audit starts. But as Abby mentions, the IRS will do it on case by case basis. I always play conservatively and I have always included residual income on line 14 of the K1.

I have two cases where I could have not include income on line 14. One case, my client has $120K of guaranteed payments, so adding the extra $20K is not a big deal. On the other case, my client has $40K as guarantee payments, so adding the extra $15k will help him when he retires and he collect SS benefits. Keep in mind that SS benefits are considered on 30 years so each case is different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pacun said:

It sounds interesting that two of the three cases were attorneys. If attorneys' behinds were kicked by the IRS, we have to raise our white flag as soon as the audit starts. But as Abby mentions, the IRS will do it on case by case basis. I always play conservatively and I have always included residual income on line 14 of the K1.

I have two cases where I could have not include income on line 14. One case, my client has $120K of guaranteed payments, so adding the extra $20K is not a big deal. On the other case, my client has $40K as guarantee payments, so adding the extra $15k will help him when he retires and he collect SS benefits. Keep in mind that SS benefits are considered on 30 years so each case is different.

They are actually calculated on the highest 35 years.

• Like 2