ATX Community

ATX efile rejection code

ILLMAS

Googled and found this:

Employer Identification Number Issued after Tax Year. - This reject occurs when the Employer Identification Number of the employer/payer reported on the tax return on a Form W-2, W-2G or 1099R was issued by the IRS in a subsequent year. This can occur when an employer gets a new EIN after the tax year which is being reported on the W-2. The taxpayer will have to contact the business entity that issued the source document in order to get a correct replacement document. If the EIN issue cannot be corrected, then the return cannot be electronically filed and a paper return must be submitted by mail.

• Like 2

Also this one from CS Thomson Reuters:

Error Code FW2-505-01: Form W-2, Line B 'EmployerEIN' was issued after the Tax Year in the Return Header.

The return will have to be filed on paper, because the EIN of the payer was issued in the current processing year, and due to IRS Fraud Prevention, they will not allow anyone to electronically file with a payer's new EIN. The IRS takes the first year to verify that the EIN is legitimate.

• Like 2

It's a bit unclear whether you're talking about a 2016 or 2017 efile reject ?

I had one of these rejects back in April.  In my case a very large employer changed one of their FEINs during 2017, but according to the IRS the new FEIN was not approved until after 12/31/17, so they rejected my client's return.  My workaround was to use this employer's previous FEIN and the efile then went through.

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

Form W-2, Line B "EmployerEIN" was issued after the Tax Year in the Return Header.

Does this mean, that the employer didn't have a FEIN in 2016, created an EIN number in 2017 and issued a 2016 W-2?

Simple answer: YES.  The return must be paper filed.  I have dealt with a dozen or so of these.

• Like 1