ATX Community

Computers should be easier

Abby Normal

I was remote supporting a client for QuickBooks this morning, and after I deleted his duplicate transaction, he asks, 'can you check my backup to make sure my QuickBooks data file is being backed up?'

First I looked in QB and it was not prompting for a backup every time you close, so I set that up to back up to his documents folder. When you upgrade QB, your backup settings and some print settings (like check font) do not rollover with your data file. Who knows where Intuit even stores that info. QB should walk you through the backup options the first time you close any new or rolled over data file.

The I looked at his CrashPlanPro backup settings and it defaulted to backing up only his user profile. Well, QB uses the Public user profile to store the data file so his QB data file was not even being backed up. He had gone an entire year with zero backups of his QB data!

Why, after 40+ years of computer use, software companies haven't agreed upon a single location where all data and user configuration settings are stored so backups can be easily done is a testament to our stupidity.

I have several programs that store data in the user folders. Some (like ATX) store it in a hidden system folder (Brilliant!) and others store data and/or settings in the program folder.

I'm lucky to have been involved with computers since the mid-70s, but the average user shouldn't have to be a detective to find out where their data and settings are stored and then make sure those locations are included in the backups!

• Like 9

I use Carbonite and it shows me what is being backed up with a little green dot. Even still, I have to check it often to be sure it's being done. So, I'm still a detective, just not a real good one. 

Off topic; @RitaBdidn't realize that PMS was first documented in the Bible. It says, "Mary rode Joseph's ass all the way to Bethlehem." Or something like that. 

I'm glad I could validate her. Maybe this can help others, too. 

You're welcome.

• Haha 8

45 minutes ago, Possi said:

I use Carbonite and it shows me what is being backed up with a little green dot. Even still, I have to check it often to be sure it's being done. So, I'm still a detective, just not a real good one. 

Possi,

Just in case that you also use ATX,  ATX uses a number of hidden files.

Carbonite will not back up any hidden files.

27 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Possi,

Just in case that you also use ATX,  ATX uses a number of hidden files.

Carbonite will not back up any hidden files.

I use TaxWise, so there aren't any hidden files as far as I know. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. I only have a few more years to work. Don't give me tooooo much information! LOL 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 4:12 PM, Possi said:

Off topic; @RitaBdidn't realize that PMS was first documented in the Bible. It says, "Mary rode Joseph's ass all the way to Bethlehem." Or something like that. 

I'm glad I could validate her. Maybe this can help others, too. 

You're welcome.

And Jesus was a real cowboy - he rode an unbroken colt bareback through a cheering crowd without getting thrown off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2