ATX Community

E-services lock

Margaret CPA in OH

Just received an email that there have been 3 unsuccessful login attempts on my IRS account, etc. I looked at the full header and detailed blah, blah and it certainly seems legit.  As it states to not even try again until 24 hours have passed, I don't think it's a scam.  Anyone else ever receive this notice?

I get messages from google if they think they detect a hack attempt (they are usually correct).  They suggest changing the password immediately.  I do not think they lock out (since the messages I have had so far are blocked attempts).

For a few things I log in to infrequently, if I do not remember and use the proper password, I can get locked out after a certain number of failed attempts, with a message not to retry for a certain amount of time.  If I try within that time frame, the timer simply restarts.

If it were me, I would try ASAP - within the 24 hours - and see if the lock is actually in place.  If the message is legit, you should be locked out, and will get some sort of warning, hopefully that the timer has been reset.  If you get in, and it is within the 24 hours, the message may have been fake.  Either way, once in again, change all security items you can, and if possible, use two factor auth (such as a code received via text).

• Like 1

Access has been restored.  In the list of failed logins, there were 3 attempts within 12 minutes.  They do now have another requirement which I had forgotten.  One is texted a 6 digit code that must be entered.  And, of course, I had to agree to the new terms of service.  But I got back in.  Scary!

• Like 2