ATX Community

CCH/TAXWISE/ATX

TAXBILLY

From an article in Accounting Today, June 2007:

The TaxWise document management, fixed assets and trial balance lines are now being offered through ATX, says Jeff Gramlich, president of small firm services, the unit that CCH created to handle the lines that it acquired last year.

"We are also leveraging the write-up product from CCH," says Gramlich. But he said his group will largely build its own applications to complete the product line.

So basically, they are going to merge the TaxWise and ATX products into one line. That is, I think, a good thing for the users. Because it means that they are keeping the lower cost line, and that they are even trying to improve it. I'm glad to see that, since it's still the best bargain for my type of practice on the market right now.

So basically, they are going to merge the TaxWise and ATX products into one line. That is, I think, a good thing for the users. Because it means that they are keeping the lower cost line, and that they are even trying to improve it. I'm glad to see that, since it's still the best bargain for my type of practice on the market right now.

Unfortunately, taxwise doesn't operate anywhere similar to ATX. As I recall, it is not forms based. I believe it is what I used as a VITA volunteer years ago.

Unfortunately, taxwise doesn't operate anywhere similar to ATX. As I recall, it is not forms based. I believe it is what I used as a VITA volunteer years ago.

I would consider TaxWise to be forms based much in the same way that ATX is. Both (e.g.) show the 1040, you click on line 8 or 9 to bring up the B, click again to bring up the interest or dividend worksheets, etc. If you have a business you open Schedule C; rental property you open E. Both products allow you to jump around between the forms quite easily. TaxWise is superior in automatically loading forms as they are needed (e.g. 6251, 8880); ATX is superior in having more comprehensive worksheets (e.g. sales tax deduction tables).

In my mind, a non-forms based program would be a program where you had to enter all the data on worksheets and didn't see any forms until you explicitly asked to see the results (e.g. Drake).