ATX Community

EIC and SS Income

mcb39

Just finished two returns with low Earned income and some SS income. As single persons in the correct age group, they both qualify for EIC. (Right or Wrong?) First one had $3318 in Earned Income and $5872 in SS. Second one is similar. I cannot find any documentation that addresses the specific issue. Only read that SS is not considered earned Income and since it does not calculate into the AGI; they definitely qualify for a refund of their withholding as well as about $290 in EIC. Something about it disturbs me so am asking for verification. Have been in this chair for a good 13 hours now and my eyes and brain are ready to give out; so will pull the plug after posting this question. Thanks.

Just finished two returns with low Earned income and some SS income. As single persons in the correct age group, they both qualify for EIC. (Right or Wrong?) First one had $3318 in Earned Income and $5872 in SS. Second one is similar. I cannot find any documentation that addresses the specific issue. Only read that SS is not considered earned Income and since it does not calculate into the AGI; they definitely qualify for a refund of their withholding as well as about $290 in EIC. Something about it disturbs me so am asking for verification. Have been in this chair for a good 13 hours now and my eyes and brain are ready to give out; so will pull the plug after posting this question. Thanks.

Sounds right. be sure and fill out the 8867

I do several returns with SS income plus low earned income. Your two clients would qualify according to the info you provided.

Sunday

I do several returns with SS income plus low earned income. Your two clients would qualify according to the info you provided.

Sunday

Thank you both for the reassurance. I did file them and one is already accepted. And, yes, I did fill out and keep the 8867 for each.