ATX Community

New Router and computer questions

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I am getting a new computer and I want a new router, also. I am deciding between a Dell XPS and having a computer built here by my IT guys. I don't really know much about routers for my office. I have a Nighthawk upstairs for the personal network and a TP Link for my office router that is really old. I use Cox Internet if that makes a difference. My computer is wired directly to the Internet. Is it OK to have a wireless secondary printer, or should I only used my connected ancient HP Laserjet  4200? Does anyone have any suggestions for an office router that is secure? I am trying to be very diligent about security. TIA!

My XPS arrived today from Dell, I paid about $1,250 (including tax) for the following specs:

Win 10 Pro 64-Bit

16GB Memory

512GB SSD drive

1TB HD drive

no speakers

The only add-on for me was the cd/dvd tray

Costco has a similar computer on sale today for cyber Monday:  https://www.costco.com/dell-xps-tower---intel-core-i7----geforce-gtx-1650.product.100513790.html

• Thanks 1

I have terrible cell phone service in our area and try to keep my cell phone on my office wifi. I have extenders for the home network, but even those don't help alot. I'm not concerned about using the wireless printer, because I can always use one upstairs. This one isn't even turned on unless I'm printing. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with having a wireless printer. 9 months out of the year I use wireless in the office but during the core of tax season I plug in because it operates faster. My home printer is wireless.

At work I use a laptop and will bring it to my meetings at the conference room table and being wireless means I can easily print off a report for the client or account forms for them to sign.

• Thanks 1