ATX Community

NY Mandated e-file

Margaret CPA in OH

New client (daughter of friend) has dawdled with abandon and needs to file her NY return by Jan. 15 to get health insurance.  I'm still waiting on some data, of course (artist, you know).  I see a dire warning that because 'this return was prepared using software, (I) MUST use e-file.  If (I) file a paper New York State tax return, (I) will be in violation of New York State law.'  BUT New York e-file is down until mid-January and not accepting e-filed returns.  'Preparers who file paper returns are subject to penalties.'  What to do?

On top of this, paper tax returns cannot have any writing except signatures.  Another dire warning...

We did something similar last year; a return (finally!!!) ready to e-file after e-file shut down.  We sent it in on paper (and I charged the client for the envelope and postage, after taking so &^%$# long to come in to sign I did not want it sitting on their desk for six months and I'd end up with a NYS letter to answer), with the "e-file is shut down" note, and it went through.  

• Like 2