ATX Community

TAX SEASN RECORD

michaelmars

It works to say "I won't have any appointments available for a few weeks, but it you drop yours off, I work on drop-offs after 6:00 and it will be done in a couple of days." Has worked every time. Nobody wants to wait. Of course, when you call them to let them know the return is ready, it takes them a week or two to get in to sign. Can't figure that one out.......

The absolute smartest thing you can do is keep your clients out of your office.

It's the single most important productivity enhancer you can implement.

(But getting them to use email for routine questions is a close second)

Incidentally, I don't deal with pick-ups either.

I'll gladly pay the $4.00 postage to keep them out of my hair.

Gee, how non-personal! :o

I rather like the time spent with our clients. This year we've had 320 sit down appointments and quite a few others who chitchat a moment or two during either drop off or pick up; nearly another 400 in that category. Then there are the dozen where I grab my laptop and go to them, primarily due to health issues. Plus another 20 who are handled via a combination of email and snail mail.

Perhaps it's because we live in a cluster of small towns separated by rural areas dotted with family farms, lakeside cabins, and mountain retreats. We're fond of joking around that "it's okay if you don't know what your doing because the neighbors probably do!" We're such close-knit communities that at times I feel like I can't go anywhere without being recognized or stopped to ask a question about one thing or another. But that's all part of the charm of northern Pennsylvania.

Granted, at times we probably would get more done in quicker fashion if we shifted the office to all mail-in or simply stopped the appointments but I don't think either us or our clentele would be happy that way. :wub:

Elfling & staff

My son went to PSU Hazelton for a couple of years before graduating from Temple. Now he lives in Lakewood, works in Starlight, and just bought commercial property across the border in Hancock, NY. He agrees with you about everybody know everybody else's business in small towns.

I do allot of mail-in clients. Long as you get their returns to them in time, they're happy. Postage is less than gas this year (and probably next). This also allows me more productive time. Try it...you'll like it! Of course, new clients get important questions and chit-chat. Many of my clients have been with me over 12 years and I love them. They know it and they like mailing in their stuff...and knowing they're still getting my personal attention. Plus, it broadens my field. I do taxes nationally.