ATX Community

Sale of Rental

GraceNY

I have spent a considerable amount of time searching for an answer on this.  I don't see anything on it.  Just taking original basis and adding selling expenses (i.e. title, commissions, etc.)

New client.  Started renting out a house in 7/2010.  Not his primary residence prior to that just a 2nd home.  Took it out of service in 5/2019.  Between 5/2019 until date of sale in 10/2020, he spent a considerable amount of money getting the property in shape for the sale.  I would like to know if the if those expenses can be added to the basis.  And, if so, would it just be "capital improvements" not fixing up expenses like painting.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Grace

38 minutes ago, GraceNY said:

. . .   Between 5/2019 until date of sale in 10/2020, he spent a considerable amount of money getting the property in shape for the sale.  I would like to know if the if those expenses can be added to the basis. . . . 

If the expenditures that were not capital improvements were done with the intent of preparing the property to be sold, wouldn't those expenses be deductible

as additional sales related expenses i.e. painting and etc. ?