ATX Community

IP PIN

Christian

A married couple I serve had someone file a a fraudulent single return using the wife's social security number prior to the couple filing their return last year. The Service just got out a letter to them which was received this week concerning this. They have returned it giving the information requested so the matter is in process. They have brought me their 2020 information looking to file their return. I am not certain they should file at this time as the Service may provide her with an IP PIN to use on her filing for 2020. I am wondering if we should sit back and wait to hear from the Service but I know full well in doing so it may prevent them from filing for an extended time. What do you think ?  

I looked into this a bit further and have decided to go ahead and use the existing social security numbers. The Service will likely require verification from them and I am going to advise the couple of this. I feel certain this process is going to take time and they will need to be patient. They married last year and after reading the letter from the Service I came away with the strong impression the wife mistakenly filed a return herself and has now caused this problem. It never occurred to me to ask if she had filed a prior return. It takes all kinds. 🥴  

• Like 1

I failed to state I efiled the return and it came back rejected. The wife said she had no idea who filed the earlier return using her social and, of course, we went ahead filing a paper return advising the first one was fraudulent. The couple must have delayed sending in the paper return as the Service indicated it's receipt in September of last year and have only last week sent the couple a follow on letter. We provided the info requested but likely it will be awhile before this is resolved.