ATX Community

1099-SA and 8889 input

Malissa

2020 ATX seems to be different for 1099-SA and 8889.  I used to put the amount of qualified medical expenses on line 15 of 8889 but it won't let me.  How do we account for that?

Edited by jklcpa
moved to its own topic instead of reviving one 6 yrs old

1 hour ago, Malissa said:

2020 ATX seems to be different for 1099-SA and 8889.  I used to put the amount of qualified medical expenses on line 15 of 8889 but it won't let me.  How do we account for that?

It has been simplified. Open form 1099-SA and enter the distribution amount and the portion of distribution that was used for medical expenses on the same form. After that you will go to 8889 and check the months he/she was qualified as before.

13 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I simplified it myself, years ago. I never use the 1099SA. I go straight to the 8889 worksheet and override the distributions amount line and I've already linked that line to the medical expenditures line so they match.

I don't like to override anything on any return because if items change, that override will give me different results. I remember about 8 years ago I posted an issue with a simple override, ever since, I have not use it.

• Like 1