ATX Community

New York IT-203 & IT-203B

Yardley CPA

Hoping someone with knowledge of New York returns can chime in.

NJ Resident working in New York.  Should IT203-B, Line 1o Wages, Salaries, Tips normally equal the W2 NY Wages?  In my clients specific case, they also have Dependent Care Benefits added back because the wife did not work.  So the amount on Line 1o of IT203B is the same as IT203 Allocation Worksheet Column B, Wages, Salaries, Tips Etc.  $457,270.  For some reason, ATX had populated $427,195 on Line 1o and for the life of me I could not tie back into that figure.  image.thumb.png.0f07d5baf0487ebcaf4b07ce3e450c4b.png

image.thumb.png.6f3ac6e59115d061edc0e4c1ad768038.png

8 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

So now it's going to take that percentage to determine tax.  So in simpler numbers, my total wage is 10000 and my NJ wage is 7500 then 75% of tax is allocated to NJ.  So NY taxes the 10000 first then multiplies that tax figure by 75% to give to allocate to NJ and the rest is NY

Thank you for the response.  Wondering about line 1o the IT-203B.  Should that always be the NY Wages from the W2 or is there some type of calculation used to populate 1o?  ATX had populated that line with a figure that was less than NY Wages and I could not figure out how the number was arrived at.  

Since earnings are all from NY and fulltime NJ resident you don't need to use the Part Year Resident Allocation worksheet.  The earnings are not subject to allocation, it will populate correctly on IT 203 page 2.  You don't need the IT 203B.  

But you could use page 3 of IT 203B if worked at home days apply.

• Thanks 1