ATX Community

1099 from bonus

chadw

Client received bonus from his employer for about 10k. He is a W-2 employee with the firm. The firm he works for asked him if he would like his money right away or wait until his next paycheck. Of course he said right away and so therefore they cut him a check. Well they didn't withhold any taxes from the check and they 1099-Misc. (box 7) for the amount. He is still currently employed with the firm as of now.

I don't think he should owe self-employment taxes on this, but I do feel as though he has to pay his portion of SS & Med.

Would a 8919 or a 4137 be appropriate in this case. If so which one and if a 8919 is needed, which code should be put in?

Thanks

If you recommend this course of action, be sure you are prepared to explain to him why it was a good idea to get fired over an $800 tax savings. It might be a hard sell.

I am going to recommend doing a schedule c and see if there are any unreimbursed expenses that may be around to help lower that amount. I will let him know about the 8919 and tell him the potential consequences of going that route, but I may just leave that decision up to him. The overall liability difference is about $450. I don't think it's worth the battle with the employer, but I was just curious what other opinions were on the issue.

Thanks