ATX Community

14 1099Rs box 7 code JM

Possi

This client has FOURTEEN 1099Rs listed on one statement. Seven for each spouse. Ranging from $17 to $574, totaling $2973 for each spouse in box 1 and zero in box 2 taxable. 

The box 7 code is JP.

I believe it is just the growth that is taxable. I'll find out exactly how much they put into the accounts and make the taxable amount equal the growth. 

Am I doing the right thing? I have never seen this before. 

Edited by jklcpa
fixed typo in title

• jklcpa changed the title to 14 1099Rs box 7 code JM
5 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Code JM or JP? If P, then excess 2019 contribution removed in 2020; therefore taxable in 2019. See Table 1 plus all the explanations and examples.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1099r--2020.pdf

I'm sorry, it's JP. 

So, do I input zero taxable and amend 2019 for any growth that may have happened? It must be minimal, if any, because each one is so small. Am I overthinking this? I am purely exhausted.

Sorry, that's all I got. I used to get a lot of Code P for excess contributions to fully taxable retirement plans. But yours are Roths, right? Did the principal come from salary reduction? If so, then the full amount would've been part of wages in 2019: P—Excess contributions plus earnings/excess deferrals taxable in 2019.

1 minute ago, Lion EA said:

Sorry, that's all I got. I used to get a lot of Code P for excess contributions to fully taxable retirement plans. But yours are Roths, right? Did the principal come from salary reduction? If so, then the full amount would've been part of wages in 2019: P—Excess contributions plus earnings/excess deferrals taxable in 2019.

Thanks. I got it. 

3 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

If they'd been a payroll deduction for his 2019 W-2 and ended up being excess payments (highly compensated or whatever) then they are taxable on his 2019 tax return.

No, the financial planner had it all set up and I had to call him and let him know it was a NO GO.