ATX Community

Divorce Final April 5, 2007

Janitor Bob

Client just dropped off a copy of her divorce decree...final in April 2007...There in the decree plain as day...it states "Chad & Jennifer will file as Married filing jointly for tax year 2007"

How could I possibly file them as MFJ when divorce is final 04/05/07?

How could the attorney base their entire divorce decree on this?

JB,

You have the most "interesting" practice of any of us. Where do they come up with this stuff?

Jennifer needs to call her attorney and let you explain the tax code to him. The attorney ought to fix the defect in HIS work for free. A divorce decree does not over rule tax law. Single at the end of the year means filing single (or HOH if qualified child).

Tom

Lodi, CA

Client just dropped off a copy of her divorce decree...final in April 2007...There in the decree plain as day...it states "Chad & Jennifer will file as Married filing jointly for tax year 2007"

How could I possibly file them as MFJ when divorce is final 04/05/07?

How could the attorney base their entire divorce decree on this?

OK...I finally had time to really read this document...and it is NOT a divorce decree...It is a Separation Agreement...does that make a difference?

OK...I finally had time to really read this document...and it is NOT a divorce decree...It is a Separation Agreement...does that make a difference?

Yes, it makes a difference. Lawyer is right (or at least not going againts tax laws), but he cannot force anyone to file jointly or separate. Since they have a written agreement to file jointly, I think they should file jointly.

Yes, it makes a difference. Lawyer is right (or at least not going againts tax laws), but he cannot force anyone to file jointly or separate. Since they have a written agreement to file jointly, I think they should file jointly.

and I also see where it states the MFJ filing, it also states "for 2006"....so this year I guess they will file whichever way is better? MFJ or MFS...Correct?

...However, they have lived apart for the last 6 months of 2007, so I suppose they could file single and HOH?

and I also see where it states the MFJ filing, it also states "for 2006"....so this year I guess they will file whichever way is better? MFJ or MFS...Correct?

...However, they have lived apart for the last 6 months of 2007, so I suppose they could file single and HOH?

No. Never single for 2007. The only choices are:

1.- MFJ

2.- HH for one with the kids and MFS for the other

3.- Both of them HH if they both had at least a child living with them. Keep in mind that they should have lived apart since June 30th for HH and a child must have lived with the HH parent

No. Never single for 2007. The only choices are:

1.- MFJ

2.- HH for one with the kids and MFS for the other

3.- Both of them HH if they both had at least a child living with them. Keep in mind that they should have lived apart since June 30th for HH and a child must have lived with the HH parent

Thanks...Yes I meant MFS, not single

Then if it is signed by a Judge, it is the same thing, for tax purposes, as a divorce, and they can not file MFJ. They file as single or as HOH, as the case may be.

Well, I do not see an actual judge's signature, but it states that they did appear before Judge Jeffrey Welbaum and it was assigned a case number from Miami County Common Pleas Court.

It looks identical to Divorce Decree that I have seen except for the words "Separation Agreement" instead of "Decree of Divorce"

It would be MUCH better for them if hey filed MFJ and split the refund, but I want to make sure I can do this.....If not, I will file them as MFS and HOH...

>>they did appear before Judge Jeffrey Welbaum and it was assigned a case number<<

I know this guy, been thinking of getting married. Got a license, picked a date, even signed a prenup. But in the end they just decided to shack up for a while to see what it's like.