ATX Community

IRA Tax Withholding

Christian

A client I have takes his annual MRD from his IRA in December each year. He has federal and state income tax taken out when he does. In reading my Kiplinger tax letter awhile back I was surprised to note that it stated that federal taxes withheld on a once a year distribution are treated as if paid throughout the year which means he can add a monthly addition to his quarterly federal withholding. I assume you would divide the amount withheld by twelve producing a monthly figure which can then be included in computing his quarterly payments. I have not encountered this before and would appreciate any info from the forum.

This pretty much confirms the point. I note he has been paying quarterly installments for some time but will be drawing a MRD this year so in estimating his tax for next year I will be mindful that should he incur a penalty in future related to underpayment of quarterly estimated I can add his annual year end payment to his other quarterly payments. Good to know. 

I don't think there is an "adjustment."  Withholding taxes are treated differently on the 2210 than estimated tax payments.  Estimated payments are counted in the quarter they are paid; withholding is treated as though it is paid evenly through out the year regardless of when the income was received or the tax was withheld.  I use my Christmas "bonus" this way so that the withholding on my December check will cover the extra payment for any other income during the year - profits, dividends,stock sales, etc.  Sounds like what you do, Margaret.  I think Christian is just saying that he can adjust what he has his client pay in estimated taxes by having a larger amount paid in from the RMD in December. 

• Like 1

I myself was hit with a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax one year. If you consider a withheld payment in December as having been paid throughout the year would not a three month amount of the December withholding be credited along with your quarterly estimate to compute an underpayment or overpayment for that quarter ? That is what I am getting at.🤔

Yes, you can treat the withholding as having been paid in four equal installments corresponding to the four "quarterly" periods.

Note that you do have the option of treating withholding as being paid when actually withheld (see box D in part II of Form 2210).  This can be beneficial, for instance, if the RMD was taken earlier in the year, and spreading it out would result in underwithholding for that period.

• Like 3