ATX Community

Windows Alternatives

Lee B

• 2 weeks later...

Not all vulnerabilities are exploited or discovered by "bad" hackers.  Microsoft has a bunch of "good" hackers on its payroll whose job is to break into their product and they discover most of the vulnerabilities and send out fixes.

MAC is the alternative for regular users but it is more expensive.

• Like 1

Not a judgment on the merits of any OS, Windows is the VHS, and all others are the BetaMax (if one believes Windows is inferior).  If you need to pick something to be more future proof, of found in most offices, Windows is it.  Mac was relegated by Apple decisions, and especially so once DTP software, quality enough for "real" writers, was available on PC's (DTP was the last bastion of Mac).  The final nail to any chance of Apple even splitting market share was cloud based apps.  Chrome is interesting, but no point using one as you can use a phone with BT keyboard, mouse, and a display if you really do not want Windows or Mac.

This from someone who kicking and complaining, switches to an iPhone.  The reason, The only phone which does not capitulate to carriers - meaning I can actually use the one feature I need, no matter the carrier (two carriers, auto switching, one phone).  I had a Samsung which has the two carrier feature, but the major carriers block the feature, and I am not into jailbreaking.

• Like 2

You could use Linux. Much like with MAC OS, you have to run extra software to run Windows programs in sort of an emulation mode. I've considered learning Linux but I don't have that big of a problem with Windows and there are tons of Linux variations - who has the time? If you are worried about Windows 11 not being compatible enough with your tax software, you probably don't want to run Linux or any of the other open source programs.

It's not covered in the media very often but MAC OS has a ton of security problems and it also has virus problems. Hackers generally go to the largest platforms available because it gets you the biggest bang for the buck but MAC is big enough that it has these problems.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, Medlin Software said:

two carriers, auto switching, one phone

This is one reason I went with Google Fi. They switch between T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular, and if you drive into Canada, it switches to one of the carriers in that country. Data rates are prohibitive in foreign countries but calls and texts are free or reasonable, and you can use wifi for data at no charge.

You also have the pleasure of using pure android OS and not some poor alternative by Samsung or whoever, with a bunch of branded apps that you don't need.

2 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

This is one reason I went with Google Fi. They switch between T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular, and if you drive into Canada, it switches to one of the carriers in that country.

I do not want to be a secondary used of whatever carrier the phone provider pays for.  By being a direct customer, you are higher priority than their reseller users, and in some cases (such a business plan) there are options to pay higher priority.  Nothing wrong with lesser priority access, if it suits your needs.

For me, using the "big 2" gets me coverage anywhere I frequent.  For the advanced, there are units (such as PepWave) which allow more than 2 carriers (plus WiFi) to be used simultaneously (there are priority settings in the modem/router).  For many, it will be moot once (and if) Starlink becomes truly mobile.

2 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

I do not want to be a secondary used of whatever carrier

Haven't had a problem in over 7 years of being a Google Fi customer. They have great customer service and my coverage is about as good as Verizon in my area. Plus I HATE Verizon and AT&T with the heat of a thousand suns. They're just evil and I would never buy anything they're selling.

Used Fi for a bit too.  My issue is I reside close to a large event center, which means the cell system gets overwhelmed when there is an event (despite the fake tree tower, and fiber backed wifi not many elect to use).  No problems once I went to a business plan, since it gives me priority over normal plans, but below first responders.  The only other time I remember an issue was at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Coverage is getting better there, as they realize it is good for public safety, but for a time, it was terrible, or unavailable, unless you had the right plan and were near their radio locations.  Starlink will resolve my rare travel issues, once it becomes mobile.

The public safety aspect was embraced slowly by NPS (and fought by those who believe there should be no communication in NP's), but the last time one of our kids went remote hiking in a NP, they had cell coverage the entire time, as well as tracking via satellite.  Turns out they needed cell, as their last few planned camp spots had bears in the area, so they called me to make other arrangements while they hiked until the early AM to get to a safe location.  Satellite worked too, but would have meant they would have stopped to keep the line open.

Cell coverage in the US is TERRIBLE compared to other countries because profit is more important than our safety. When I was in Canada, even in rural areas, I was blown away by how good my cell signal was. I was mostly on highways, but I appreciated having coverage in case I needed assistance. Near me, there are dead spots on highways and in town. It's ludicrous that ordinary citizens have so little sway over these matters.

I still remember, and fume about, when AT&T and Verizon went to Congress and said that, if we let them rip us off for Caller ID, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding, they would use that money to install high speed internet everywhere. We're still waiting for that to happen, 30+ years later! They took the money and ran.

Telecom bastards are nearly as bad as fossil fuel bastards and drug company bastards.

17 hours ago, cbslee said:

At home our phones have to rely on wi fi to do anything

Same here. One reason I tried Google Fi was the it was designed for you to make calls and send texts over wifi. I got tired of waving my phone around and walking around the house to send a text message. And that was with both Verizon and Sprint.