ATX Community

Form 8915

cpabsd

I had several clients that opted to pay all the tax on the retirement plan distributions during 2020.  The Form 8915 E was correctly marked to reflect this and they paid the tax on the full early distribution.  However, when the return is rolled over, the software is defaulting to making the full amount taxable again.  Anyone else experience this?  By deleting the Form 8915 F that is added during the rollover, the issue goes away.  But is this the correct treatment?  The tax was paid on the full amount during 2020 so there should be no carryover amounts.  

The last time I checked, if both forms are present, the correct amount is entered, then when you delete form 8915-E, you are ready to go. You have to make an entry if the person re-invest money up to 1/3 of the amount distributed in 2020.

XP4ME, remember that people has to 1/3 or re-deposit 1/3 to their retirement plan, deleting both is not correct.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, XP4ME said:

True Pacun, but in the case where I deleted them there is zero chance of re-contribution.  So just delete the 8915-E?

Yes, deleting form 8915-E is not a problem (it is obsolete anyways). Deleting both is not correct.